This recipe is from “Ağdiye Risalesi”. It is very easy to prepare, yet the taste is amazing. I regretted that I only made 4 small meatballs to try the recipe. So, I will give the ingredients in increased quantities.
Difficulty 2 out of 10
- 350 gr lamb mince or lamb meat for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
If you are using lamb meat, you will need to make it into a mince with a knife. For this, you will need to slice and dice the meat repeatedly into very small pieces so that they will resemble a mince.
Mix the mince with salt, ground black pepper and cinnamon into the mince.
Take small pieces of the mixture and shape them into meatballs.
You will need a heat resistant cup. Place this cup in the middle of a saucepot and pour some water into it.
Place the meatballs around this cup in the saucepot.
Close the lid of the saucepot.
Cook the meatballs on very low heat for 2 - 2.5 hours.
Notes on Dry Meatballs
- The original recipe asks for the mince to be prepared from lean lamb meat by knife. The taste of ready-made mince and this knife-prepared mince differs substantially. You may choose to make it with ready mince for convenience, but know that the other will taste even better.
- If you prefer to keep the mince you prepared from the meat a bit chunky, like me, the shape of the meatballs will not be perfect. But, I don’t like the meat to lose its juiciness too much by chopping it into tiny bits.
- If you use lean meat or mince the meatballs will be hard and tasteless. Whichever type of meatball you are going to make, prefer a mince with high fat content.
- You can adjust the spice quantity according to your taste.